The health and wellbeing of our Students , Visitors, Teachers and comunity are the greatest importance to the Toronto Bujinkan Koroku Dojo. While the risk to our community remains low, it is important that you protect yourself and others, know what to do if you become sick and/or following travel from abroad, and how to recognize possible symptoms.
With the increase in diagnosis and evolving risk as new COVID-19 cases linked to returning travellers from countries abroad, currently including Iran, China, South Korea, Japan, Italy, Hong Kong and Egypt, and in accordance with local Public Health Agencies, we are providing the following information and recommendations.
Symptoms and Risk Illness with this virus has ranged from mild to severe. Signs and symptoms of infection include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Sore throat also has been reported in some patients. Some patients also have reported diarrhea without other symptoms. This new coronavirus has caused severe disease and death in patients who developed pneumonia. Risk factors for severe illness are not yet clear, although older adults and those with chronic medical conditions may be at higher risk for severe illness. As we are aware of several agents, clients and staff who fall under the category of the more vulnerable to the effects of the flu and COVID-19 virus, we require you adhere to the following recommendations.
Returning from Travel Abroad While abroad, you may have come in contact with the novel coronavirus. In accordance with the Public Health Agency of Canada, we would ask that you:
Monitor your health for fever, cough and difficulty breathing; and
Avoid places where you cannot easily separate yourself from others if you become ill.
If you or a close family member have recently travelled to any of the following countries, Iran, China, South Korea, Japan, Italy or Hong Kong, we would ask that you stay home and self-isolate yourself for a minimum period of 14 days to ensure you show no symptoms of the virus.
If you or a close family member becomes ill and/or suspect you have been exposed to someone with the virus or are exhibiting signs and symptoms of the virus (i.e., feel sick and exhibit symptoms such as fever, cough, or difficulty breathing) you should:
Immediately seek medical care and avoid contact with others; and
Do not come into the class until well after the 14 day self-isolation period and/or until any and all symptoms disappear and a doctor has confirmed that you are not contagious.
Basic Prevention The best way to prevent infection is to avoid exposure. Recommended actions to help prevent the circulation of respiratory viruses, include:
• Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home when sick.
• Cover coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Information Links For further and ongoing updates, information and recommendations regarding the Coronavirus, please see the following:
• Toronto Public Health: https://www.toronto.ca/community-people/health- wellness-care/diseases-medications-vaccines/coronavirus/
• Public Health Ontario: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/diseases- and-conditions/infectious-diseases/respiratory-diseases/novel-coronavirus
• Health Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public- health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
Toronto Bujinkan Koroku Dojo